These days, more and more people are visiting beauty salons complaining of a double chin. They have tried dieting and exercise, but nothing seems to work. Their insecurity may be the result of obesity, hormonal imbalance, poor posture, or heredity.
At Solea Brickell Spa, we help our clients to get rid of a double chin with minimally invasive, FDA-approved procedures. In this article, we will discuss these procedures in detail.
What is submental fat?
Submental fat is excess fat that sits in a pocket under the chin. For a long time, it was rumored that only drastic changes in weight or health problems contributed to the development of a double chin. In reality, that is not the case. Causes include:
- Age-related changes. As you age, your skin produces less collagen. As a result, it loses elasticity and begins to sag.
- Poor posture. Using a computer, laptop or phone puts tension on the neck and curves the spine. This causes the subcutaneous muscles of the neck to atrophy and the contour of the jaw to deteriorate.
- Individual face characteristics. An indistinct chin and thin skin on the face and neck increase the risk of acquiring submental fat – applicable even if you are not overweight.
Surgical and non-surgical methods for removing a double chin
A double chin is submental, excess fatty tissue. Even with overall weight loss, submental fat can remain in place and affect the appearance of your face. To choose the optimal method for removing a double chin, our beautician will evaluate the condition of your skin and the depth of the fat deposits.
Non-surgical methods for removing a double chin include:
- Professional massage
- Microlifting, RF-lifting, ultrasonic lifting
A surgical approach (liposuction or thread lifting) is administered in more severe cases.
Kybella is an FDA-approved injection containing synthetic deoxycholic acid, which targets the fat beneath the chin. It stops the cells from accumulating fat in the chin, hence reducing the need for additional treatment.
When should you consider Kybella injections?
This procedure will help get rid of submental fat accumulation due to:
- Excessive weight
- Poor posture
Kybella must be delayed in the following cases:
- Infections in the submental area
- Diseases in the neck area or swallowing problems
- Blood clotting disorders
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- The beautician evaluates the condition of the dermis and the depth of the fat deposits. They familiarize themselves with the patient’s medical conditions that may be a contraindication, such as blood clotting.
- The number of injections is calculated. The formula is injected in small doses. One session lasts 15 to 20 minutes.
- You may undergo this procedure no more than 6 times with an interval of one month between each visit. The number of sessions depends on the depth of the submental fat. Swelling, bruising, and numbness may occur after the procedure.
Venus Legacy is a non-invasive procedure that uses radio waves and magnetic fields in combination with a special device. This procedure helps to break down old collagen bonds and create a new elastic framework by destroying fat cells and increasing muscle tone.
When should you consider Venus Legacy?
Venus Legacy is suitable for correcting sagging skin, atrophied muscles, and wrinkles in the chin area.
Venus Legacy is not suitable in the following cases:
- If you use a pacemaker
- If you have metal implants in the submental area (except for dental implants)
- If you are pregnant
Additionally, the procedure is postponed if there are inflammations and infections near the neck and chin.
- After reviewing your medical history, the beautician cleanses your face with a scrub and applies a pulse-conducting gel to your face. All products are non-allergenic.
- The applicator gradually heats the skin to the desired temperature and massages the muscles.
- The beautician may use the VariPulse™ function to get an additional effect on the fat deposits.
- On average, a treatment course with Venus Legacy consists of 6 to 8 sessions with an interval of one week between each session.
Redness and fever may occur after the procedure.
The beautician creates a framework of mesothreads in the chin area. They are made of hypoallergenic materials and are no thicker than human hair. We have several types available:
- Lifting threads. They hold the skin in the submental area in the right position.
- Reinforcing threads. They create a stronger framework.
- Biostimulating threads. They thicken the skin and stimulate collagen production.
The number of threads depends on the depth of the fat deposits, the condition of the dermis, and the age of the patient. On average, 20-30 mesothreads are needed for a complete correction of the submental area.
When should you consider a Thread Lift?
A thread lift is a universal method that helps to remove fat deposits and tighten the skin.
You should postpone the procedure in the following cases:
- Skin inflammation or susceptible to infection in the area to be treated
- Chronic diseases in the acute stage
- Pregnancy or lactation
- Blood clotting disorders
- Mental and nervous disorders
- First, the beautician analyzes your medical history, makes a diagnosis, and prepares a personalized treatment plan.
- Then, they use a thin guide needle to place the desired number of mesothreads under the skin in the chin area.
- The session lasts 30 to 60 minutes. The contour of the chin becomes visibly more pronounced. The effects become more visible after 2 months.
Recovery from the procedure takes no more than three days. If a large amount of tissue has been lifted, recovery takes about a month. The results after a thread lift last for a year, if not more.
The beautician can do a manual massage or use special massaging tools to remove submental fat. This method is suitable for removing a double chin in the initial stages of its development.
You should postpone this procedure if skin integrity is compromised. For example, allergies, acne exacerbation, scratches, or wounds.
The beautician works not only on the submental area but also on other parts of the body such as the neck, shoulder area, back, and lower back. This is done to relieve stress in tight or atrophied muscles. This massage can help correct your posture and break up fat deposits. Usually, a course of 8 to 10 sessions is required to see visible results.
Vacuum roller massage
The beautician uses a special device with a vacuum attachment, with a roller(s) inside. The vacuum sucks in small areas of the skin while the rollers massage the skin at the same time. This improves blood circulation, and lymphatic drainage, breaks down fat deposits, and renews collagen bonds. A course of 6 to 8 sessions is recommended.
Both the manual and vacuum roller massage follow the same pattern:
- First, the beautician evaluates the condition of your skin and selects the appropriate type of massage.
- Then, they cleanse the face and body of impurities and apply massage oil.
- The massage starts off as gentle and smooth. It gradually increases in speed to warm up the tissues.
- After the procedure, the beautician removes the remains of the massage oil and applies a nourishing cream or revitalizing mask to the skin.
A slight redness may occur during the massage due to the stimulation of blood flow. The redness subsides after a few hours.
How do we determine the best method for you?
Only a professional beautician can fully assess the condition of your facial skin and the depth of submental fat, and choose the optimal method for its removal. The specialists at Solea Brickell Spa provide not only cosmetic but also medical spa services. We employ licensed cosmetologists who perform accurate diagnostics and take into account the complete clinical picture of each patient, before beginning any procedure.